About Archives Cast Links The Junk Drawer

in which I give unsolicited advice that you are free to ignore

Quick disclaimer: I don't have very much experience with learning Chinese as a second language, seeing as I picked the basics up when I went to kindergarten, as it is infinitely easier for a child that age to learn languages. However, here are my two cents on learning Chinese, which you should feel free to ignore, since I'm not a linguist, a Chinese expert, or anything of the kind, and the following information is merely based on my own experiences and observations. 

  • If you want to learn Chinese in order to function in that language, i.e. be able to hold conversations of medium complexity, order food at a restaurant, read signs, maps and general announcements in Chinese etc., then I would suggest to begin with studying Chinese primary school curriculum (available here, but only if you read enough Chinese to navigate the website) with a Chinese speaker. Not only will studying a first-grade book humble you in the face of the great Chinese language, it will also give a certain unique appreciation for the Chinese culture. I don't know whether Xinhua Bookstore ships internationally or not, but if anyone comes across this and would like assistance in ordering books or would like me to forward them internationally, you can contact me at soggyspaghetti at gmail dot com. Just throwing that out there. 
  • If you simply would like to become familiar with the language, i.e. have an intellectual understanding of the various linguistic elements of Chinese, I suggest you look for resources online or at a library. 
  • If you are more interested in the Chinese culture, THIS PAGE is fantastically accurate in its representations. This also looks useful, but I can't say I've taken that long of a look at it. I'll probably also post some entries on Chinese culture (maybe in the not-so-near future), so you may want to look out for those. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Layli,
That's great advice, unsolicited or not. Very helpful.

In my case, I have 2 objectives in studying Chinese. 1 is that I would like to eventually be fluent enough in it that I can converse, understand Chinese news broadcasts, and work through newspapers at least with the help of a dictionary. I know it will take ongoing study to get there, but I have an exceptional language aptitude and am already fluent in German (not to say the languages are similar, but that my brain has developed some alternative language processing pathways already). So I have hope of achieving that goal eventually.

My more immediate goal is that I am writing a book in 2010 which is heavily involved with Chinese culture. I'm not new to Asian or Chinese studies, but as mentioned don't yet have any language skill in this area. I figure at the very least learning to "think" a little bit in Chinese can only help me during my research and writing process for the next 2 years.

I'm also giving serious thought to doing the online language teacher via Skype with someone in Beijing or Shanghai, but whether I do that or not will depend on $.

I think the idea of starting with grade school books is screamingly excellent. Thanks for all your suggestions and also the kind offer regarding book shipping. I'll keep that in mind when I start these studies with focus (which I think will be this summer). :)

-Teramis

Anonymous said...

YOU LINKED THE METAVERSE. YAY!

Sorry. I have fangirlish tendencies sometimes. ;)

Yesterday my mom was on the phone with a zillion different people trying to figure out where she could get an AP Chinese Studies test for you. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'RE COMING IN JUST TWO MONTHS!

buckets <3,

Brynnie

Anonymous said...

Oh, and as to your question in the previous post about starting a separate blog:

I say keep it on this one and just have a separate tag for it. Certainly juggling more than one blog (we have SO MANY between us, don't we?) clutters things up. Also, I have horrible fantasies that when people go to my profile they'll click on "Brynne in China" instead of "The Dragonfly Workshop" and I start ranting to myself: "I was only fifteen and so young and sometimes silly and some of my writing was cringe-worthy and....."

dot dot dot....

Okay, sorry, I'm monologuing in your comments...I should save it for an email.

Love,
Brynne

P.S. my captcha="bikersi". What's a bikersi?