About Archives Cast Links The Junk Drawer

osmanthus fragrans and writing

Today the 桂花 guì huā (sorry to those of you whose browsers don't support Chinese) are blooming. I think they're called osmanthus fragrans in English. The flowers, which are small, pale yellow, smell like a cross between peaches, apricots and lemons, and definitely diffuse sweet scented fragrance. The ornamental peach and cherry trees are also blooming, but they don't smell nearly as nice.

I had a good idea for a story right before I dozed off last night, but the salient details escape me now.... At least ideas are something that there's always more of, even though the saying "There's nothing new under the sun" might spark some debate on that issue. But I think it's safe to say that there will always be new ideas for ME. Whether they're new for someone else doesn't even matter in writing because every person has their own perspective of their own warped reality. That thought makes me so happy sometimes because it reminds me that even if what I'm writing is the oldest plot in history, as long as I tell it exactly the way I see it, my story will end up being original. And I find that thought very comforting.

0 comments: