About Archives Cast Links The Junk Drawer

in which I link to thingies that can be helpful when writing (part II)

You can read part one HERE

Worldbuilding links this time. I often just browse these sites for ideas. They're awesome. 

A Way With Worlds: Lots of useful articles on almost anything imaginable. 

Magical World Building: A good place to start if you have no idea what you want your world to be like. 

How to Create Fantasy Worlds is quite helpful as well. 

List of World Builder Projects: A unique resource with lots of great links to other resources. What more could one want? 


The Metaverse: I can say nothing. I can only bow down before the greatness that is Virtual Verduria. 

World Setting Ideas: Some stuff to get you thinking out of box when it comes to settings. 

The Mythopoet's Manual: Absolutely fantastic. 

Cruinne's World Building Checklist: Created for RPGs, but applicable to any constructed world. 

2 comments:

Alexander M Zoltai said...

Fascinating Link Lists!!

Here's a share from me:

http://www.uic.edu/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/2320/2094

Here's the author's Abstract:

Public language has become impoverished by ‘managerialism’ which frequently reduces language to strings of ‘weasel’ words, a phenomenon blamed on the information society. This process is not as ubiquitous or as inevitable as often represented, however. Drawing on Burke’s notion of human beings as ‘wordlings’, I argue for the centrality of well–crafted words, especially on the Internet, and offer examples of language crafted with care and passion, leading to distilled and vivid expression. I use the term ‘word bytes’ for such language, as it can cut through the multiple items of information from many other media with which it is surrounded, and demand to be noticed and remembered. I conclude we do not have to accept the impoverished form of ‘managerial’ English, often produced by elites and used to justify the ‘financialization’ of the late capitalist world. We can begin to counter it by our own practices of using words with care and passion, and by disseminating our words. We can also stop and question ‘weasel’ language wherever we encounter it.

~ Alex from Our Evolution

Anonymous said...

I have to say - I've checked out all of those sites (both through you and through my own exploring) and I've NEVER found anything as useful, wonderful, helpful, fantastic, in-depth (and intelligent) (did I mention awesome?) as the Metaverse.

Maybe it's just because I agree with everything he says. ;) But what's cool is that he's not just pulling this stuff out of thin air. He's STUDIED linguistics, geology, history, theology, and he's an analytical thinker.

Haha. I'm a dork.

Love you!