About Archives Cast Links The Junk Drawer

argh. argh. argh.

Last night, I tried to charge my iPod. Big mistake. I plug it into the computer (I can't find my belkin charger, I think it got packed) and get this message saying my iPod is corrupted. I was sure this was a mistake, but noooo.... On top of that, when I unplugged the iPod (poor thing) it was frozen. I couldn't even reset the thing.

Now, let me say that I've had the little machine all of three months. It's not supposed to stop working after three months! The apple site just tells me to go to the nearest apple store (ahem, I live in CHINA!!!!!). And then my brain starts doing flip flops. On the flip side: corrupted?! That means it's broken, right?! Waaaah! On the flop side: How dare you not work! You foul, undigested lump of metal*... Do you have any idea how extortionately and utterly expensive iPods are?! And it's not working? I'll wring your neck as soon as I figure out where it is blah blah blah.

I cycled through the second and third stages of grief last night (denial and anger). I woke up feeling quite ashamed of myself for caring so much about a chintzy little hunk of metal, but it's a useful chintzy little hunk of metal, and I wasn't looking forward to the flight from China to the States with no iPod.

So, I let the (frozen) iPod sit on my desk overnight, and it finally ran out of battery. I found my charger this morning, and when I plugged it in, the iPod worked as if nothing had ever happened. I still haven't tried to connect it to the computer though.

I slept on the couch last night. For some reason the air conditioner in the living room sounds like a truck driving past. I did not have the pleasure of sleeping well, which would explain the excessive use of italics in this post.

On a completely different note, Mom and I moved out of our apartment, into a friend's. Said friend is trying to get the internet fixed. We'll see how that goes. I can always come to this apartment and blog (or at least until the twentieth) but it won't be half as convenient.

About getting back to the States, well... Mom and I have to be out of China by the 30th of July, so if our visas don't get renewed before then, we'll have to leave and get Chinese visas in the States, which is a major pain. I think you have to go in person to a Chinese embassy's visa office. That means making a trip to Washington D.C. and back. Argh.

*Go watch Brotherhood 2.0 or read Shakespeare. Take your pick.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Layli! I have no idea if it is different for someone who intends to LIVE in China, but when B and C visited last year, we fed-ex'ed their passports and visa applications to an organization in Houston (made up of Chinese ex-pats, I believe), who trekked to the Houston embassy to get VISAs for people. This is how they make their living, because the law says you may pay a someone to represent you.

If it comes to that, I can get that information for you, but it was relatively easily done.

Love
Sarah