About Archives Cast Links The Junk Drawer

so...Shakespeare rocks!!!

Inspired by Brynne's latest blog post, I have been watching Brotherhood 2.0. Youtube, however, is not cooperating. Ah, the woes of living in China, a capitalist country with communist tendencies, as I like to call it. Bleh.

My air con, which is about one meter to the right and one and a half meters up from where I'm sitting right now is sporadically raining me, the computer, my desk and all the junk on it with water. It's rather cooling, really, now that I've gotten over my irrational hate of machines...

I'm currently rereading "The Bar Code Tattoo" and "The Bar Code Rebellion". They are both very good and thought provoking, especially if you enjoy thrillers and/or sci-fi. I have also checked out a book called "Like Water for Chocolate" just to read something I wouldn't usually read. I'll write a (probably short) review about it when I'm done. I have also been rereading "Macbeth", "Selected Short Stories By O. Henry", "Selected Short Stories By Mark Twain" and "Selected Short Stories By Edgar Allan Poe". I bet that your eyes will start glazing over at the mention of Shakespeare if you're not a nerd. Hehe.

In Shakespeare's other plays (or at least the fifteen folios I've read) the word "murder" is spelled the way it is now. However, in "Macbeth" it is spelled "murther", both imitating a Scottish accent and making it easy to confuse with the verb "mother". When I finish reading "Macbeth" this time around, I plan to re-reread it, substituting "murther" for "mother".

Another cool thing about Shakespeare was pointed out to me at a drama workshop I attended earlier this year. In "Midsummer Night's Dream", when mortals speak, the rhythm is opposite your heartbeat, but when Titania and Oberon speak, the rhythm matches your heartbeat. Throughout the play, Puck is trying to imitate the fairies' way of speaking, but he only succeeds in his very last speech (the last speech of the whole play, actually). It is also only in this speech that he is called Robin.

Shakespeare rocks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

B2.0 also has an awesome episode about Shakespeare. But you probably want to watch them in order...and anyway I can't remember which one it is... :)

Anonymous said...

Oh! Dad links to it here!

Actually this is an awesome channel..my dad and his best friend Carew have started vlogging back and forth.

http://youtube.com/user/TamingOfTheTube