About Archives Cast Links The Junk Drawer

prolix (go look it up!)

Well. It's been quite a while since I last was on blogger. A lot has happened in that time.
  1. I'd been having headaches, and found that my eyesight has actually gotten BETTER and needed to get new glasses, or lenses at least. Since, at long last, my frames were a wee bit narrow for my face (I've had the same frames since I was nine), I also now have new frames. Half-frames, actually. They're a nice, metallic blue, not light blue but not navy either. They match my eyes perfectly and "show off my oddly black eyebrows and lashes which do not match my hair at all", as Mom put it.
  2. A last minute trip to Suzhou, the end of the silk road, was made this past weekend, to look at Xi'an Jiaotong Liverpool University. Mom has a job offer there. It's a college campus (new and, while not unbearably ugly and institutional, still not pleasing to the eye or an architectural joy) plunked into a field. I hope the cows have been evicted, but I can't say for sure. Now there's a bunch of construction going on around it, so the effect is somewhat less than satisfactory. The school itself is okay. We still don't know which of the two offers to take.
  3. I've been reading Dick Francis. Again. In chronological order. All his heroes are very similar-- analytical, penetrating, ruthless, and an interesting combination of optimistic and realistic. The heroes also have a habit of taking the law into their own hands and being too proud to let people get away with harming them.
  4. I've been looking at online high schools which offer AP/college courses and are affordable. So far, the one that Mom and I like the best is Brigham Young University's online high school. I'm happy because it offers psychology, AP psychology, sociology, astronomy, creative writing, journalism, poetry, philosophy, Latin, Spanish, French, AP biology, human anatomy, integrated physics and chemistry along with bunches of other courses I'd like to take. Hopefully that'll keep me busy next year.
  5. I took half of my English final on Friday and missed an A+ by half a mark and a stupid mistake.
  6. Met the Suzhou Baha'is, who were charming and Persian as all get out. The food was wonderful.
  7. Found a copy of "The Essential Rumi". I plan to read it sometime...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, all Dick Francis heroes are essentially the same guy - a little rough around the edges but always good-hearted and, essentially, honest. A lot of them have poor relationships with women, though. A lot of bizarre marriage situations....

Anonymous said...

Hi Layli,

BYU is a good program. My one concern is that it is a transcript program and not a diploma program. Some oddities within their state, but the diploma program is only for adults and the transcript program is for the 17 & under crowd.

If you would like, you can see many online high schools on my website at Best Online High Schools.

Tom