About Archives Cast Links The Junk Drawer

books!!!

I should be writing something else, but here I am blogging, chatting, looking at photos on Facebook and listening to Guster. Life would be good if I wouldn't constantly remind myself that I have other things that are higher on my list of priorities than looking at photos. I wish sometimes my conscience would just SHUT UP for a day or two. But other times I bless the day I actually started listening to it (more than before).

I've been thinking about books...both in general and books that I especially like. I've been trying to define a "good book" for me. It has to inspire creativity in me, has to have characters I can relate to and/or understand, the characters have to be deep and stay in character, the writing should be interesting and the descriptions vivid, it should be believable (Not realistic, believable. There's a difference!) and... I noticed that I focus a lot on the characters. People fascinate me :) Oh, I forgot to add that the ending has to be at least as good if not better than the rest of the book. I hate endings where all problems are miraculously solved or where the author doesn't really understand what's going on anymore and consequently you don't either.

What got me started thinking about books was the fact that towards the end of English class we were talking about ebooks versus paper books.... I held firmly to my belief that even though the content would be identical, the whole feeling you got from turning the pages and smelling the mustiness of the book (I'm talking about 2nd hand books, since that's what most of mine are) would be gone, and then the whole experience would be lacking. And to take away from reading is sacrilegious and should be punishable by death. And I'm only kidding a little here.

0 comments: